Wednesday 16 September 2009

Phoney Dhoni


Deepak Sharma is perhaps the luckiest, if not most popular lookalike in the country. The Haryanvi talks, walks and rocks like cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni, and helping him in his endeavour are a neighbourhood sports shop owner, media persons, and Dhoni himself

Intelligent imposters can manage to copy just about everything. But how do you explain failing in an examination the same year, in the same subject, without knowing what fate would descend on the other? Call it coincidence, but Deepak Sharma, who turned 24 a few days ago, always saw it as a sign. A sports marketing agent from Yamuna Nagar, a small town in Haryana, he decided that he'd make not a living out of his resemblance with Ranchi's cricketing rockstar, but a life.

"When I saw him for the first time, he seemed the chosen one. I always knew I wasn't just another fan."

Today, Deepak and Dhoni meet up often, share tips and turf talk, and Deepak comes home a happy man.

Except, of course, he misses his own identity.
Why did you want to be Dhoni?
It was in 2002 that a newspaper in Rae Bareilly published Dhoni's picture, and I saw a striking similarity between us. Just a few days before this, my doctor had told me that I should quit sports (I was a football and cricket freak) due to a leg injury. I saw it as a sign and started grooming myself like him. My Dhoni journey began in 2004.

How do you manage to be like him?
It takes a lot of effort, especially affording stuff that's essential to his style. But there's a sports store by the corner in my colony, and the shopkeeper stocks all that Dhoni wears, on request, at a special discount for me. His pictures, posters and reports help me keep up-to-date with how he looks and behaves. Of course, the Internet helps too. Television coverage helps me walk the walk and talk the talk.

Does Dhoni know you well?
Yes, by first name. He knows what a big fan I am. We meet every now and then. I met him in Mohali recently. It was during the first season of the IPL that he advised that I try a new haircut. We catch up whenever we can.

Have you butchered your own uniqueness in trying to be someone else, even if he is a star?
Yes, I feel it a lot. The loss of identity hurts. People know me not as myself but Dhoni, but I'm okay with that. At least, they know me because of him. He is the one who has made a celebrity out of me, so, I have no complaints.

How does your family perceive your peculiar preoccupation?
My wife is happy; she says I must do whatever I enjoy. Meri ek gudiya hai teen saal ki (I have a little doll of a daughter who is three years old). She calls me "Dhoni papa". I take her along to most of Mahi's matches, and we love being there together. But, I don't do television shows or over-expose myself; I want to keep my family away from all the attention so that my girl can make a name for herself independent of me some day.

What is the best thing about being who you are?
Once, I spent 47 days at a stretch with Dhoni, travelling and training, in Hyderabad. On one of those days, I was in the hotel car, passing through a college, and a bunch of pretty girls mobbed me. Even when I told them I was only a lookalike, they showered me with love. That was my moment of pride. I had to beg them to disperse.

What about the mocking?
Yes, many people don't take me seriously on the job, and think I am joking, too. They tell me to go to Mumbai to try my kismet. But I shrug it off. Every passion has its risks.

How long do you plan to go on with this?
For as long as I live.

One quality in Dhoni you admire?
His sharp mind. It's an important trait in today's times.

No comments:

Post a Comment